Skip to main content

Three Englishes

Even though I am from Brazil, speaking english was always something required in my life. During this week in my 11 AP English class, we have been discussing different types of english and how they differ from each other but continue the same big and known english. For example, at home I speak broken english, actually, a mixture of Portuguese and English, at school I speak -or at least I try, a formal English as I was taught in my English school back in Brazil; and when with friends, I speak a mostly “slanged” english, and when I say slanged I mean the terms that American people created to communicate with people whom they have intimacy with, like when you say “wyd?” instead of typing the whole “what are you doing?”, because of course, that would be too much work...I must particularly confess that whenever people use “slanged” english to joke around and I don’t understand, I got to a point where I just laugh along with the group. And also, of course sometimes my brain gets tangled and I end up saying “c’mon bro” to my dad or to my french teacher, but the point is, why is it wrong?
The funny thing is that society consider as politeness to speak formally with a straight tone to those who you should be more respectable with, colloquially and more chill tone with those who you have more intimacy but still respects too much to use slangs, and finally, informally with slangs and terms that you would usually use with your friends because they will understand that you are lazy enough to text “wbu” instead of “what about you”.
I learned a lot of things in my english school, but one thing that they forgot to teach me and that it is crucial are the slangs used by Americans and other english speakers. I went to a British school, so everything was formal and super strict….and then I went to an American school, and it is fair to confess that I was lost whenever people used even the -considered by most,easiest slangs, “hmu”, “w/o”, “wyd” etc… If you are reading this and you plan to move to another country or any other situation where you will be required to speak another language, my advice for you is to do not forget that actual people are pretty different than the people from the language books that are paid to teach you how to speak formally; go for the slangs!!
Ultimately, I will finish this blog post with three pictures; one of them is a picture of my family to represent “standard” english, one picture with my friends at a party to represent the colloquial language where we use slangs, and the last picture is from my prom to represent the school years where I had to speak the most formal english with teachers and staff. Hope you like it :)





Comments

  1. I find it intriguing how informal a person can get when they're talking to their friends and why they don't talk to anyone else like that. It's because they're so comfortable with them but it's still very strange to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penélope I really liked reading about your 3 Englishes because I think your perspective is very unique in that you were taught formal English in Brazil, but you were never taught the slang used everyday in American Teenage lives. How do you think knowing a formal version English helped and hurt you in your transition from Brazil to America?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog so much, I find it amazing how your English is so fluent although it is not your first language, but if I had not already known you I probably would not have been able to tell it wasn't. Adding onto Jenna's comment, has it been easy to catch onto the slang that has come about after you already living here?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a Parody?

As we read “ Sinner in the H ands of an Angry God” during this week, my teacher, Ms. Besl, asked my class to create a Parody out of Jonathan Edward’s work. According to the dictionary ,  Parody is best defined as an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect. Even though they are supposed to be funny, some parodies are kind of grotesque and also use a lot of satirical devices, what creates scary thoughts on some readers, which keep wondering if the author is serious or just being satirical. Parody has entered our day-to-day life through hilarious parody movies that mimic famous blockbusters. “Vampire Sucks” parodies and pokes fun at “Twilight” which was a film adaptation of Stephanie Meyer’s novel “Twilight”. Another famous parody example that could be used is “ Sonnet 130”  by Shakespeare, which is a parody of traditional love poems common in his day. He presents an anti-love poem theme in a manner of a love poem m

Was Gatsby that Great?

First of all, I decided to talk about the question that all of us that read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald may have wondered in the end of the book. Was Gatsby that  Great? In fact, Gatsby could be considered great by his benevolence to always throw parties and let anyone come in even without an invitation, for giving the dress to the woman, by lending his servants to other people, for actually being generous about his money without expecting anything in change of that, and letting people take advantage of it. Although Gatsby doesn’t mind being generous, some people see this generosity as Gatsby’s negligence about everything else except Daisy. What besides being true, reveals his obsession about Daisy, and that makes me think that maybe he is just great on planning everything for her, due the fact that all that money that he is spending on the parties and using to achieve the Dream through his eyes, is illegal money and he didn't choose the most clear path to ac

What If The Great Gatsby Took Place on The Present Days?

I decided to write this week's post about something that I wondered while reading The Great Gatsby this week... Can you imagine if the story of The Great Gatsby was told in real time ? Of course we will never know what it would actually be like, but based on what I’ve been reading so far, and what I know about the amusant characters, my guess is that Gatsby would probably live on Upper West Side, New York; his car would probably be a Mercedes , M aserati , or BMW ; where the brand would be used to show luxury instead of the yellow color; his astonishing shirts brought from England would probably be replaced by Armani and Burberry clothes….Some things would not change -in my vaste opinion -for example, Daisy’s ambition to marry the wealthy guy instead of the poor military one, it is not rare to see that nowadays. Also, something that I think would be different is the fact that Daisy knows -even if she pretends to not- about Tom and Myrtle’s affair. A woman nowadays proba